I have this real thing for cake toppers at the moment, I feel like no cake (cupcake or giant cake) is complete without a cake topper and thus I am on the hunt for the perfect topper. See I don’t have steady hands, which means that I am not the best cake decorator, which means that while my baking is absolutely delicious (if I don’t say so myself), my cakes are often met with a ‘wow’ and not in a good way. More in a sarcastic ‘wow how did you manage to make chocolate cake look so unappetising’ way. So toppers are perfect for me! I can slap a bit of icing over the cake and then place a HUGE topper in that totally takes all of the attention away from my lack of detailed decoration.
It’s the beginning of the year which probably means a whole host of new birthdays, holidays and celebrations are coming your way – whether there is a birthday knocking on the door or somewhere further around the corner, it’s always good to get a bit of practice in!
So here is your step-by-step guide to creating a DIY confetti cake topper:
You will need:
- Parchment paper
- Confetti shreds (see piccies for instructions)
- Hot glue and a hot glue gun
- Toothpicks or kebab sticks depending on the size of your cake
- Lay your parchment paper on the table or work surface and start drawing with your glue gun. Parchment paper is pretty see through so if you need a template just print it off, pop it under the parchment and trace.
- While the glue is hot, pop your toothpick where you want it and go back over everything with glue.
- While the glue is hot (you’re going to have to work quickly for this DIY!!) cover your entire creation with confetti. If you aren’t happy with the confetti-ness of your cake topper just add more glue and more confetti until it is perfect.
- If you want your cake topper to be a 360 number then just flip your topper over and repeat the glue-confetti combo!
As easy as pie … do you think you can put toppers in pie …?
Feature Image from Aunt Peaches.