Peanut butter: a store cupboard staple, and a divine comfort food. What’s more, it’s a pretty awesome source of protein, so even though it may be calorific, it’s also kind of good, right?! Whether you’re splurging on a celebration cake, or want a no-fuss no-bake bake, peanut butter is frequently the ingredient you need to hand. Here are some favourite ways to use peanut butter in your baking:
- In the Cake Itself: There’s no law that says a well-balanced cake must equal 3 eggs and equal weights of flour, butter and sugar (although that’s a super simple and delicious recipe). Peanut butter works fantastically alongside brown sugar in the cake mix itself.
- In the Icing: If you’ve never tasted peanut butter icing made using butter, peanut butter, icing sugar and a dash of vanilla atop a gooey moist chocolate cupcake then you haven’t lived. The combination is divine.
- In the Layers: If you’re after slightly more subtlety from the peanut taste, then try using peanut butter either by itself or mixed with cream cheese and icing sugar, in the layers of a cake. It’s quick to put together and the nutty richness adds a layer of complexity to a wide range of bakes.
- In a Cheesecake: Pair smooth peanut butter with salted caramel in a New York style baked cheesecake and you’ll be the talk of the dinner party scene and forever welcome at coffee mornings.
- In Cookies: Peanut butter is immensely kind to cookie dough and results in a soft cookie which is incredibly satisfying.
- No-Bake Bake: Use peanut butter in a no-bake bake by mixing with butter and icing along with a good quantity of chocolate chips. Roll into balls and try to keep the scavengers at bay.
Have fun, experiment, and let us know how you use peanut butter in your baking.